News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Dama Question and Company Questions

Started by SeaKen, 26 February, 2012, 20:06:29

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaKen

So basically I have a few questions which are unthread worthy on their own so I have decided to create a thread containing all my questions. I greatly appreciate any feedback, ideas, answers or whatever you have to offer regarding my questions.

1) I recently got a Sweets Kendama Focus 2.5 Frost White. When I opened it up I noticed a unique surface feel to it (almost sand paper like). After juggling and throwing a couple tricks I found Lighthouses, Birds, Cliff Hangers Lunars and similar tricks to be far easier. My Question is does anyone know how to make a similar surface feel on say a standard or Kendama USA dama?

2)This question sounds pretty stupid, and a little crazy, however I can't stop wondering whether or not it affects the play of my kendama, and whether or not it is common. After playing around a little with the Sweets Kendama, I noticed the the hole with the string running through it was unusually large. I guess what I am wondering is wether or not other Sweets Owners have found this on their and wether or not it would affects tricks such as airplanes and such. Sorry about not having a picture of it, I am having some trouble uploading it.

3) This is a simple question regarding peoples opinions on Kendama Companies and which they feel are superior. Whether it is in design, price, playability or whatever.

Just type in the number of the question your comment regards

Thanks

The Void

Hello, welcome to the forum[nb]Introduce yourself?: http://www.kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2.0.html[/nb].

1) I haven't played with a Sweets kendama, so I don't know what the finish is like (although they seem to have several types of finishes). I also haven't experimented with altering the paint condition on any models (other than just using them a lot). I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has tried anything. However, I imagine kendama manufacturers wouldn't be keen to share their paint secrets and production methods!

2) Do you mean the string hole in the ball, or the one in the cross-piece?

3) I tend to switch between the kds I have, but mostly I use a Sunrise at the moment.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

John

Seaken, I bought a first run of the Focus about 9-10 months ago and whilst we're not talking about exactly the same finish, you will probably find that it doesn't lose any of it's stickiness when it wears in. It helped me learn lunars like a beast, although it did chip very easily so be careful doing spacewalks over concrete. They're playing around with a ton of new finishes so you probably won't be able to replicate it on another dama without a bit of expert knowledge - just appreciate every kendama for it's own quirks :)
Regarding point #2, it is probably fine - I wish I had the same thing with my first Focus, it was entirely the opposite and the string hole was so small that the string and bead got lodged inside the tama (when I was at the top of a mountain, hardly convenient). On trying to pull it free it broke, and some hundreds of metres up in northern Spain is a Focus bead lodged behind a rock. A bigger hole would have been ideal!
I have bought 2 Sweets Kendamas before and as aesthetically pleasing as they are (and delightfully sticky like a Focus), I have had too many problems with the workmanship on both to warrant buying another and will stick with my Sunrise / Oozoras*. Which answers your 3rd question. :)
John.
*However, I know many people who are more than happy with their Sweets, maybe I just got unlucky twice.

AlexSmith

With the advent of all the new companies it only makes sense that each would offer somewhat unique kendamas. Kens are reasonably cheap, so if a company can bring something new to the table they'll likely do good business. The JKA brands are pretty heavily restricted in this way, though a seasoned player can easily point out the differences in playability and feel between JKA models.
I haven't played a frosted focus (or one of their new naked focuses either), but I have one of the focus 1.0's. Paint is decent, never got super sticky though, definitely not my lunar dama. Just goes to show the differences between runs and models.

Damas worth buying simply due to their uniqueness:
A good woodgrain ken (Keyakis are amazing)
Cheese kendama (100 of these made by Czech kendama, not sure if they have any left)
Newest tribute kendamas (not released yet, but they're literally the most high performance / stickiest ken I've ever played)
Sweets (they've been playing around with a lot of finishes lately)
Kendama-Co (offering the 'glow' kendamas with the insides of the cups painted, and the bamboo are sweet looking)
Sourmash Stove (a small stove for a tama. much more difficult than it looks. Novel / super fun)
Oversized kens (Sunrise Performer is probably your best bet, much better dama and much better price than the Taiyo)

I'm probably forgetting some other cool damas, but these are the main ones that are commonly available.

AlexSmith

Also, on the size of the string hole in the tama: for me the bigger the better usually (within reason). I hate when the string can't rotate freely in the hole, as the string can then get all twisted up a lot more easily. If the string is loose in the hole a simple shake of the tama will straighten out any twisted strings.

John

Alex, no shameless self-plug for your own damas? :)

AlexSmith

Well, I did say 'commonly available' haha - although come spring / summer we'll be making Terras full time.

Kendama Co

The finish on the Frosted kendama's makes it "sand paper" like as you mentioned, which makes it more grippy for harder tricks such as lighthouse and lunars, and also gives it a nice finish. These differ greatly from the JKA approved paints that are not grippy. Some competitions might not let you use a kendama with this finish, but they are fun to play with!