News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

The ever popular "Today I..." thread

Started by BatDancer, 04 July, 2011, 21:24:24

Previous topic - Next topic

BenPycroft24

Landed hand roll > spacewalk > handroll > swirl > handroll > big cup > turntable > spike > whirlwind. Not on film though. It felt so good to land it first try. Wasn't planned out just some freestyle. Also landed 7 lighthouse flipsin a row, also not on film.

M.Wang

I did my first bat and little bird to big bird to spike!! That is bird over valley right?
-M.Wang

Simplicity! CLICKON!
KENDAMA.

The Void

Nice combo, Ben, although I don't quite get how some of the transfers would work.
And Matt, that's reverse BOTV. It normally starts with Big Bird. (Unless you're using a left-handed kendama right handed.)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

M.Wang

Thanks the void!
But does it still count?
-M.Wang

Simplicity! CLICKON!
KENDAMA.

the milky oolong

Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

PikWik

i would say small bird to big bird is a more uncommon way of doing BOTV. usually its big to small, but to be able to go from small to big is equally as important.

add a bird flip (bird > earth turn > bird) after each landing to really give it some chutzpah  :P

PikWik

today i landed some 1-turn lunars without pre-loading the ken. in the past, i would always twist/wind up the ken before doing 1-turns. but, ive since re-trained myself to use a different method. previously, i would start with a loaded ken and from a dead hang let the ken start to spin and then swing the ken forward. when the small cup is at 12-o-clock give a tug, directly towards my chest plate, and hopefully LAND it. this method would work, but 5/10 would be a wobbly mess, and not repeatable as id like it to be.

now i use the 'hold the tama in one hand and hold the ken in the other' (un-twisted/unloaded) with the tama held just in front of the ken. then, barely twist the ken on release, swing forward and once the small cup is at 12-o-clock, pull the string towards my sternum. this gives that perfect smooth movement to the lunar flip and is the technique that has plagued me for a few months. i now understand the mechanics of the release and this new method is far more repeatable. just like i want it to be :)

M.Wang

Well milky, I kinda think it counts but then I did a regular BOTV. So yay.
-M.Wang

Simplicity! CLICKON!
KENDAMA.

The Void

Nice work guys. I've never got the hang of those, PikWik, but then again, I almost never practise them.
Today I failed to practice-pass 6th Dan by 1 miss on the last trick.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

The Void

Quote from: The Void on 01 October, 2014, 20:39:41Today I failed to practice-pass 6th Dan by 1 miss on the last trick.
And again today! Bah.  ???

the milky oolong

Today I felt myself nearing Small Bird > Gunslinger, can't wait for the next session of filming to get it down.
Kendama Berlin

shalafi

Quote from: the milky oolong on 02 October, 2014, 23:37:47
Today I felt myself nearing Small Bird > Gunslinger, can't wait for the next session of filming to get it down.

Do you mean doing a gunslinger with the tama on the small bird? That's really hard.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

The Void

Quote from: The Void on 02 October, 2014, 15:49:10
Quote from: The Void on 01 October, 2014, 20:39:41Today I failed to practice-pass 6th Dan by 1 miss on the last trick.
And again today! Bah.  ???
Three days in a row! Dammit!
*sigh*

BenPycroft24

Landed spacewalk > handroll > juggle > big cup > spike > whirlwind with no extra swings or cupping from handroll into juggle.
@Void I feel your pain for not getting self certified. I've gotten to pre Dan and missed 1st Dan by one trick. Can't remember which one.

the milky oolong

Quote from: shalafi on 03 October, 2014, 13:12:03
Quote from: the milky oolong on 02 October, 2014, 23:37:47

Do you mean doing a gunslinger with the tama on the small bird? That's really hard.

Yes, [user]shalafi[/user], that's the one. I've realized if you pull up inward swing to the Small Bird already in a Gunslinger grip, taking care not to touch the tama on landing, you can get the rotation right. What's hard is the re-grip on the ken, trying to do it as gently as possible. Had some fall-offers while waiting for a train yesterday. Alleyoop!
Kendama Berlin