News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Kendama Drinking Game

Started by Cand1ez, 27 September, 2011, 22:13:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Cand1ez

-Drink responsibly-

Now to contradict myself. 
My fiend is having a house warming this weekend and there a few kendama players there.
Anyone know a kendama based drinking game that works for either players or complete novices?

Im thinking something along the lines of S.K.A.T.E. 
3 attempts 1 finger for each miss.
Add and elaborate.
ect.
looser downs %^&^$* mix.

Apologies for lowering the tone.

Andy

Ian F

Whatever rules you use will only last a couple of rounds before you forget them, if the game goes according to plan, but I wouldn't advise playing against 'fiends', you're asking for trouble!

Greg the Strangler

My friend Max and I play a game where we alternate doing a trick after calling it, generally harder than the previous, and if you miss, you drink. Its fairly simple but we like it better then the more competitive K.E.N. when we've have a few ;P.
January–Kengarden Beginner Champion
May–Kengarden Intermediate Champion
December–Kengarden Advanced Champion

The Void

If my drink of choice can be a nice smooth latte, then count me in.

Hmmm.... maybe it better be a double espresso to make things a bit more even.  ;D
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Cand1ez

Quote from: The Void on 28 September, 2011, 13:04:45
If my drink of choice can be a nice smooth latte, then count me in.

Hmmm.... maybe it better be a double espresso to make things a bit more even.  ;D

if kendamas about focus surely youl win then.  (the term win is used loosly here)

but thats coming from someone who is on a kendama forum when he should have his face stuck in his dissertation.

T- minus  48 hours till deadline. and counting.

Ian F

Meet you half way Void, Irish coffee anyone?

AlexSmith

Hehe I got involved with something like this on the weekend. A few of us grabbed 5 different kendamas or ken type toys (a normal ken, and fkc mini ken, a taiyo, a pill, and a Sourmash stove).
For each toy we set a trick to be done (eg, double earth turn with the pill)

Then we all went through the tricks one by one. If you missed a trick your punishment was a half shot of this wretched 'Whiskey' my friend brought me back from a trip to Laos. 50% alcohol, and I'm pretty sure the other 50% could best be described as 'hell'

I'm sure you can imagine the outcome

Marko

Grab a kendama and device where you blow and it measures alcohol you have in your system.

Give points to each ladder trick or if you are lazy just you just get one from each. After ladder set sum all the points you get and multiply by how much you got in you ;)  So if you have 0,5 you would get only half of the points. Hitting almost deadly 3 would triple your score ;) 
http://www.rubberduck.fi - Kendamas in Finland!

AlexSmith

I'm fairly sure .5 bac would put most people right out of commission... Given that the legal limit in most places is about .08

The Void

You know you're talking to a Finn, right?

I don't need alcohol to have a crappy time..., etc
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Marko

Haha :) Yeah, this chart that explains what happens:
http://www.brad21.org/effects_at_specific_bac.html

I would recon you can still land some easier tricks with 1.5 multiplier:
Quote"0.13-0.15 BAC: Gross motor impairment and lack of physical control. Blurred vision and major loss of balance. Euphoria is reduced and dysphoria (anxiety, restlessness) is beginning to appear. Judgment and perception are severely impaired."

Two would probably be in the limits, after that no Finn would be interested in playing kendama game of drinking anymore. Most likely just drinking more or surviving.

AlexSmith

Ah alright... I thought you meant 1.5%, not 0.15% haha.

Marko

Haha! Yea, I would be dead with 1.5%  ;D

SamB

Last week there was much discussion in the pub over drinking games. The general problem with these games as a whole is that they punish the losers with drinks making them worse at the activity eventually leaving a group of sober "winners" and steaming drunk "losers". The solution we came up with is to flip it around and reward good play with more drinks (this assumes everyone in the game is in the game in order to do get rather drunk which is surely the point of a drinking game)[nb]This principle can be applied to other games. The other good example we came up with is drinking chess where you drink every time you take a piece. This means that when you take a piece you get closer to winning but also get more drunk and, in theory, worse at chess[/nb]

So the (so far untested) Kendama Drinking Game is:

• Take a list of tricks and order them hardest to eaiest, in this case we'll use the JKA Kyu grading list.
  • Players then attempt the tricks, beginning with lighthouse.
  • If the player hits the trick they drink and remain on that trick drinking every time they hit it until they miss.
  • If a player misses a trick they don't drink and move on to the next trick (around the world)
  • This carries on until a player misses the final trick (big cup) and is then declared the loser.

Doing the game this way should even out the abilities of players since the better players will hit more tricks, and so drink more, and so become worse players.
It also answers the question "how drunk do I have to be before I can't even catch a big cup?"

I'm throwing this out there and urge you to give it a go!
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

AlexSmith

Ha, doesn't sound like too bad a plan.

Another variation could be to set a list of tricks. If you hit one of the tricks then you get to give out a drink to an opponent.