News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

The ever popular "Today I..." thread

Started by BatDancer, 04 July, 2011, 21:24:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Misterwhang

I found out that I can land stilts easier than lunars today :) :(

Cliffdama

@misterwhang.. i still can't control the landing of the stilt all the time... lunar landings are for me much easyer :D

----

and here just some small random things i did today :)

The Void

If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Cliffdama

thanks void. trying do more variations on it. to lighthouse etc.

also did this although it's almost not worth looking at it :P>

swing in inverted 1 turn corq lighouse.
setting up my good cam atm to do some serious filmping :D

The Void

Can't really see that one very well - not enough light. But I get the description - well done.

Having had a torrid time for a week with Bird/Valley, today I practice-passed 6th Dan. First time I've done it twice in one calendar month, and the 5th time overall. Damn it's hard. I'm having a celebratory biscuit, whatever anyone says!
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

The Void

Kev

So this is three times in a month [user]The Void[/user]?

Well done sir! That's mighty impressive.

Today I've been persevering with my Lunars - good progress made and a few nice ones landed.

Some insight seemed to click into place regarding the gentleness of the catch / correction movement if you get me? Before I had to land them perfectly or there was no chance, now it seems a good cushioning catch works wonders.

(And surprise surprise knees are a huge part of that along with a light touch).

The Void

Yes Kev, and thanks. Still far from confident on any given day, though.

Well done on getting Lunars better controlled. I believe the original one had a relatively soft touchdown.

Tetsuya Takahashi

I've been experimenting with "flip" moves. I got  a lunar and stilt flip plus a double lighthouse flip and a triple jumping stick :D

shalafi

I just did the Sppeed Trick B in 1:15. My current personal best.

Only missed 2 earth turns, 1 jumping stick, 1 1-turn aeroplane and 1 falling down, so 5 misses in total :)

I think it is the second time I make it in less than 2 minutes (a.k.a. 3rd Dan time)
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

The Void

Nice one guys.

I haven't done STB for ages, but the other day I was racing the microwave, and managed to sneak in a 45s run. That's probably the fastest I've done it since passing 5D. Probably average about 65s, without much practice.

You know Akimoto's advice, right, shalafi?: "Try NOT to miss!". Sounds stupid at first, but slowing down a tiny bit to enhance your precision often leads to a faster overall time.

Cliffdama

Never done stb :o. Going to try it when i'm home.

What i did do is balance training yesterday. Lunar -> stilt (no turn) this is a very good practice to balance tricks. First you land a simple lunar than click it up to a stilt, hold it and once stable you spike it :). Want to do a axe before the lunar but still not being able to land it very often...

Deadpoolzer0

Today was a good progress day. After finally getting some progress on stilts, I started flipping from airplane to stilt. Still mostly flukes but at least it's progress! Also, after watching Void's typhoon video a few months ago, it occurred to me tonight to use it in simple tricks for extra difficulty. My first landed one turn lighthouse>typhoon>grab ken from air and spike the typhoon. Definitely a good day!

shalafi

Quote from: The Void on 30 November, 2013, 15:24:05
You know Akimoto's advice, right, shalafi?: "Try NOT to miss!". Sounds stupid at first, but slowing down a tiny bit to enhance your precision often leads to a faster overall time.
I know, that's what I've been focusing on for a while, not to make the tricks fast but to avoid missing. It seems to be working.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

The Void

Quote from: Cliffdama on 01 December, 2013, 08:31:34What i did do is balance training yesterday. Lunar -> stilt (no turn) this is a very good practice to balance tricks. First you land a simple lunar than click it up to a stilt, hold it and once stable you spike it :). Want to do a axe before the lunar but still not being able to land it very often...
That's a nice trick. I just did one in the kitchen. (i usually miss it though.) Axes are naaasty. :-)
Quote from: Deadpoolzer0 on 01 December, 2013, 10:02:11
Today was a good progress day. After finally getting some progress on stilts, I started flipping from airplane to stilt. Still mostly flukes but at least it's progress! Also, after watching Void's typhoon video a few months ago, it occurred to me tonight to use it in simple tricks for extra difficulty. My first landed one turn lighthouse>typhoon>grab ken from air and spike the typhoon. Definitely a good day!
Nice. You might also call that 1-Turn LH > Fast Hand Typhoon Spike (Or ....Stab, depending on the angle you hit the Spike at.)