News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Half-Swirl Aeroplane Tutorial (Was: VOTW 14-05-2012)

Started by The Void, 13 May, 2012, 19:04:20

Previous topic - Next topic

BKA

....aaaaaand 4!

Looks like this has reached the maximum number for the limit of the available string length. Unless some technique is developed whereby you can slide your finger within the loop to keep it swirling? Now there's a challenge for someone!

LarsVegas

That is some incredibly well done slo-mo. You can really see every detail. Maybe that helps me with a single swirl.
EKO 2012 - European Beginner Champion

the milky oolong

Half-swirl heaven. How many great players have dedicated such time to divulging its secrets? Amazes me even more in slo-mo. A question for the Gods who can land it - does it feel as good as it looks?
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

Kev

Glad I revisited this thread. Have been trying Half Swirl Aeroplanes this afternoon and was finding it tricky. Turns out I was doing the first wrap around the finger between the string and my body rather than on the far side away from me - much harder (/wrong) it turns out!

Although I've not quite got these down yet, it's definitely coming. I have been trying them in reverse too (so coming in under the finger rather than over) although with this direction it seems like the first wrap does go between the string and your body - would you agree?

The Void

Quote from: Kev on 11 May, 2014, 15:32:06
Glad I revisited this thread. Have been trying Half Swirl Aeroplanes this afternoon and was finding it tricky. Turns out I was doing the first wrap around the finger between the string and my body rather than on the far side away from me - much harder (/wrong) it turns out!

Although I've not quite got these down yet, it's definitely coming. I have been trying them in reverse too (so coming in under the finger rather than over) although with this direction it seems like the first wrap does go between the string and your body - would you agree?
[user]Kenta Sakamoto[/user] was asking me about the wrap-inside entry when we were in Japan. My reply was that the trick in the video is "Half-Swirl Aeroplane", but that this would be a variation, which I'd call "Outside Half-Swirl Aeroplane" (because the exit is outside, not inside).

So, no, a "Reverse Half-Swirl Aeroplane" would still wrap at the front on the entry. Sounds like you are describing a "Reverse Outside Half-Swirl Aeroplane".

Well done for getting them!
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Kev

Thanks!

I've only got the regular Half Swirl Aeroplane so far but I hit it a good few times today and am really starting to feel the flow of the trick.

I can see Reverse Outside Half-Swirl Aeroplane happening but have just not managed to land it yet - although it's close, then I'll have to work through some of Rich's variations in that great video of his!

The Void

If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Kev

shalafi

And today I suddenly realized what I was doing wrong with swirls. I can do half-swirls easily, but swirls tend to mess up. Not anymore!

Tip: it is just about hitting your finger closer to the ken, not in the middle of the string.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

The Void

Gee, if only someone had told you.  ::)

Glad you've got them.

shalafi

To me, slightly closer did not work, it has to be really close, like 80%-20%

That pic is from the tutorial on half-swirls, right? I don't remember any tutorial for full swirls.

The Void

[Split and merged the topics]

I see. Well, in principle, it's exactly the same. Fair enough, you need more "travel length" for a Swirl than a Half-Swirl. But if you need 80-20 for a (1-)Swirl, you aren't going to have any more string-room to get a 2- or 3- Swirl. Akimoto-san managed a 4-Swirl Aeroplane on a normal (? ...maybe it was a 3-finger) string!

I'm much better at halves than Fulls, myself, so maybe Swirl King [user]Dimensions[/user] has some further tips?

Dimensions

To be completely honest, swirls are a feel trick.
Once you've got a full one you have the knack for every time (the aeroplane afterwards however takes more practice).
Personally I always have my finger about 20-80 for a full, but also for halves and doubles and triples. But I've always found giving more power with your throw more help for multi-swirls than the string length
So I can't really give many more tips without seeing them in person, ask at the BKO if you make it!

-Rob
Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

shalafi

So, here's my experience.

I can do a half-swirl with maybe 60-40 of the string, no problem. In fact the first part of a half-swirl is now muscle memory for me, the aeroplane, well, that's another story...

For a full swirl I noticed that the ball was always catching up with the ken, making the catch quite hard. I tried giving more power to the ken throw and I managed to do a few, but I struggled a lot.

Then I noticed that people on videos did catch the string very close to the ken, I tried the 80-20 and voila! it worked flawlessly and now I can do it "almost" every time. I'm with Dimensions here, it's a feel trick.

I tried, and I can also do a half swirl with the 80-20 position. Haven't tried doubles yet, I guess that will be tricky.

The Void

Today I watched a clip of Maruishi-san doing this trick. That made me smile. :)