News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

BC Kendama overview/review

Started by The Void, 23 October, 2012, 16:00:41

Previous topic - Next topic

The Void

BC Kendama, made (in the USA?) by What's Next Manufacturing, who also produced a nice line in wooden yo-yos.

Some old photos, next to a mugen for scale. I can't remember why I added a bit of pink grip tape to the handle of the BC...

Way back in 2006, my friend Mini imported some of these so that there were some kendamas available for people to buy/play with at Matt Hall's kendama workshop at the British Juggling Convention. (That's where the Brit juggler crowd first were introduced to kendama, and where the whole idea of the BKA took root).

I picked one up, and learnt the basic tricks from Matt. Over the course of the next year, I used it in my walkabout performances, letting people have a go to see if they could spike it. ("Whoah, no way!")

The string is held on simply by friction between the cross-piece and the main shaft of the ken. It is not painted, but rather the ball and cross-piece are wood-stained. There were 2 or 3 colour options available, if I remember rightly.

The ball is slightly larger than a JKA standard, and the spike is much longer, which makes Earth Turns and Jumping Sticks quite awkward. Often, I would make the launching flick, and the ball/ken would just judder in place, and not go anywhere. (The first time I tried a JKA kendama, I immediately realised how much better they were, and went off to track one down.)

I think it should now be regarded as a curio for completist collectors.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

AlexSmith

From what I know these are 'Tom Kuhn' kendamas, a brand which existed for a short while a few years ago. I was under the impression they were based out of a small town in BC, Canada (hence the BC engraving?). Any idea if this info is correct?

Anyways, I've always thought they were neat. Shame they dont play extremely well, I wonder what one would fetch in an auction?

The Void

I *think* that Tom Kuhn (who has made great yo-yos for yonks), took over the What's Next/BC brand yo-yo models after they went out of business. I'm not sure, but I think I know a man who probably knows....
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

AlexSmith

Ah that would tie your story and my story together quite well then, I had no idea he made yo-yos as well. I originally saw these in the archive section of kendama-world, then did a little more research on them after that. They seem to be found mostly in the collection of Euro players who have been into kendama for 4+ years, the N American scene is just slightly too young for em'

The Void

Right, I thought the B stood for Brad, but couldn't remember the C. Mr Google helped out...
http://www.yoyowiki.org/wiki/What's_Next

The Void

So we were both kinda right, but a bit wrong too. :)

AlexSmith

Hmm, so there goes the British Columbia story (I'm actually in Vancouver for the week right now :p).
Well, it seems that the number of old Canadian brands has shrunk to one: Emeska kendamas. I've heard they were based out of Quebec, but they seem to have completely dropped off the map now. They too were gone before I ever started seriously playing.

Nice detective work, Void.

The Void

Hmmm, this makes me realise Sweets Kendamas' tagline of "Home of the First American Kendama" is not right. Unless there's some detail we're missing.

Thorny

Quote from: The Void on 25 October, 2012, 16:12:24
Hmmm, this makes me realise Sweets Kendamas' tagline of "Home of the First American Kendama" is not right. Unless there's some detail we're missing.

I agree, I think they probably don't realise that other American-made kendamas have been around. Possibly just a lack of intense research haha

The Void

[user]LukeEvans[/user] has posted a few more images of this on FB. His packaging is different to what mine came in (blueish cardboard box - I don't have it anymore, although I'm pretty sure I somewhere still have the instruction sheet), so perhaps mine was a "Tom Kuhn era" BC.

mrjuggles

That brings back memories.  This was my first ever kendama, I bought the natural wood version at an IJA fest in Madison, WI back in 2003 if I remember correctly.  I ended up giving it to an ex-girlfriend after I got a TK16 a few years later, kind of wish I still had it...