News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

New To Kendama

Started by Moefv, 27 April, 2013, 16:29:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Moefv

Hey guys! I am new to Kendamas and was wondering what would be a good Kendama to start out with? I am thinking of buying a Sweet Kendama aTack. Would this be a good choice to start out with? God Bless - Moefv

Cliffdama

got a sweets atack myself to. It's a good sticky kendama and good practice for balance tricks like a lightouse/lunar etc. If you want something a bit more to train te skills i suggest a tribute/sunrise. Those ones are great to start with in my opinion :). If you don't have to much money and want one you are not going to replace in the near future i should buy a ozora, it's a bit harder to learn but if you master tricks on that one you got some true skills i think :p

And most important it's all about having fun so a sweets atack is garuanteed fun because of it's sticky surface. You will do some cool tricks in no time! ^*

br4d24

Quote from: Moefv on 27 April, 2013, 16:29:19
Hey guys! I am new to Kendamas and was wondering what would be a good Kendama to start out with? I am thinking of buying a Sweet Kendama aTack. Would this be a good choice to start out with? God Bless - Moefv

Get an Oozora. I have heard a lot of debate over what the "best" modern kendama is - and after lots of research i have come to the conclusion that Oozora are the (disputed) champs. I havent played a huge number of different brands but compared to the ones i have tried, oozora feels and plays the best :) can never go wrong with an oozie.

Kev

Hi Moefv - and welcome :)

If you're planning to do a kendama grading at some point it might be worth buying a competition approved kendama.

You can see the BKA list here: http://kendama.co.uk/approved.html

(Note: the JKA list is an even smaller selection)

Other than that, it seems like many players end up owning more than one anyway so you can try a few and see what feels right for you.

Moefv

Thanks for the advice guys! I really appreciate it! I think to start off I will get an Oozora (Ozora) and then when I start getting into the more advanced tricks I will get an aTack or a different one which has a sticky surface. Thanks again guys. God Bless - Moefv

P.S. I only know a lot about yoyos not Kendamas...

TrevorWestad

I have a sweets and a Kendama USA 2013 pro model. The pro model is amazing for lighthouses. I would totally recommend it.

happygoat

Get an Ozora! You won't go wrong with that one!

br4d24

Quote from: Moefv on 28 April, 2013, 00:09:01
Thanks for the advice guys! I really appreciate it! I think to start off I will get an Oozora (Ozora) and then when I start getting into the more advanced tricks I will get an aTack or a different one which has a sticky surface. Thanks again guys. God Bless - Moefv

P.S. I only know a lot about yoyos not Kendamas...

If you get an oozora by the time you are doing more difficult tricks it should be worn in nice enough to stick them no problem; thats one of the best things about oozoras, they get better as they wear.