News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Video of the week - change the plan?

Started by Dimensions, 02 January, 2014, 14:23:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Dimensions

Since I joined the forum there has never been a video of the week
So I was thinking maybe we should change it to having it as "Trick of the Week" or simply something like what the Diabolo.ca does: http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?board=17.0

So if you had came up with an awesome new/ creative/ damn hard trick send it to a moderator. It would get accepted and then posted on the board.
Well that is my idea

So does anybody like this idea or should we just bring back video of the week like the forum used to?

-Rob
Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

the milky oolong

Hey Rob,

This is a good point. I imagine the VOTW is often added work for the Mods in that it really involves the further effort of judging and selecting which video becomes the VOTW. When it was running I really appreciated it, thought the selections were varied and high-standard, can understand why it could be practically a bit tricky though (not every week there are multiple 'suitable' videos to choose from).

Oh. and, what's a diabolo?  :P
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

Kev

I like video of the week too but think that it is hard to keep on top of on a weekly basis, also it depends on what videos are actually out there at any one time.

Maybe we could run it as 'Video spotlight' rather than 'of the week'? That way any videos that are particularly exceptional for whatever reason could get a bit of extra exposure without demanding that someone updates it weekly?

Dimensions

I'm glad this has finally started a conversation
My idea for "Changing The Plan" as more for this idea:
Quote from: Dimensions on 02 January, 2014, 14:23:24
So if you had came up with an awesome new/ creative/ damn hard trick send it to a moderator. It would get accepted and then posted on the board.
Well that is my idea
So what do people think about that idea?

The reason I'm saying this and would like this to go ahead - or at least trial it - is because:
- some people like to drop hints for there new videos
- some people have one signature trick but believe they don't have enough decent content for an "Official" video of there's
- some people don't like leftover clips wasted
- some people like to edit single tricks or like to practice editing - but the video of the week does not have to be a single trick

Please note: I'm only saying some people and not all people in that list

So does anybody like my plan, if you do I'll try and get it going - I will be more than happy to moderate the videos of the week as well

Discus!
-Rob

P.S
@milky a diabolo is a Chinese toy - like kendama in a way. It looks like this

Try here for videos
http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?board=17.0
This is there version of the video of the week - basically my idea as above

the milky oolong

I would support it - but it would be something very much other than VOTW, more like a kind of Miscellaneous Videos section. Why not trial-run it for a bit?

(About the diabolo - I was trying to hint that kendama has sort of eclipsed most/all of my other juggling - have a lot of dusty props at home. Excuse the needless sarcasm!)
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

BKA

There is a plan.

But it might take a while.

In the meantime, if anyone wants to "submit a video"[nb]That's "a video", not "a Video Of The Week".[/nb], you can do so by simply starting a new thread with a link. (Really, please do!) Doesn't matter if it's a leftover, or a single trick, or a teaser, or anything, just start a thread with your video.

The old VOTW system wasn't getting much feedback, and this forum, although steadily and happily growing and building, is not active enough yet to support the DCA-style VOTW system. (Heck, even DCA can't!). More discussion and interactivity is the key to getting to a stage here where a VOTW submission system might work. If you (collectively, dear reader) want to help that along its way, then the best thing to do is to comment on other people's video threads, even if it's a simple "good work, keep it up", or similar.

Or better yet, if you see a kendama video online that you think worthy of comment, and that you haven't seen in the Videos section.... Then post it in the Videos section! It doesn't have to be your video, tell us about videos you've liked!

Dimensions, sorry to seem to be pouring cold water on your head - we do appreciate your enthusiasm! (You should probably win some kind of award ;) )

Cheers all!

Dimensions

Ok how does Video / trick of the month sound?