News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Online Grading?

Started by br4d24, 28 April, 2013, 21:35:37

Previous topic - Next topic

br4d24

Hey BKA how do you guys feel about doing online grading for people overseas that dont have opportunities to get graded in person? Obviously its not as official as an in person grading, and you dont get a certificate - but i think it would be a fun and rewarding experience. How would you guys feel about arranging an online event sometime for a few of us people on the forum here to get graded? Aside from moshi kame i belive i could achieve 1st dan depending on my concentration.

It would be fun to watch others attempt their gradings as well via video conference.

The Void

The trouble with video (streamed or not) is there are so many subtleties that fail to come across - and the depth perception is not there, and a limited viewpoint. Plus the lack of good image quality, lighting problems....
And time after time in live gradings I see very competent and highly skilled players suddenly feel the stress of a "live, for real" situation, and fall down at a lower level than they might have expected.
So while video gradings might be a fun experience, in terms of replicating a face-to-face grading, it doesn't even come close.

Even so, to do so just as a bit of experience isn't a ridiculous idea, and would be fun for the gradees, I'm sure, but I'm afraid I for one just don't have the time right now. Sorry, dude.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

br4d24

Hey its all good! I never really thought of the downfalls it may have, I have a macbook pro so i kinda take for granted the HD webcam i have, everyones computers might not have that.

Maybe one day there will be 3d video conferences? That would be sick!