News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Mugen Musou (Public availability)

Started by BKA, 24 October, 2013, 16:51:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Coach_Styles

"I'll definitely be making my own wooden tips in the meantime. Something nice but soft, to help preserve the tama, maybe some birch or maple... :p"

@AlexSmith Please make these available on your website. It'd buy a maple tip in a heartbeat.

BrandonYoder

Quote from: AlexSmith on 28 October, 2013, 19:40:45
I'll definitely be making my own wooden tips in the meantime. Something nice but soft, to help preserve the tama, maybe some birch or maple... :p

Ill probably be doing the same.
I have been neglecting my lathe for the past 5+ months:(
but the musou will hopefully give me enough inspiration to get back at it.

The cold weather always gets me in the mood to woodwork again as well.

Cliffdama

I ordered both. Can't wait to get them! Anyone knows if they are numberd?

mreasyguy

I doubt they will be numbered, if they are it will just be the box like the Earth blue's were.

Cliffdama

Yeah thats what i mean the box i ordered the second after they went up online so i hope for a low number :p

Cliffdama

Yeahhhh... Tomorow they will be shipping all orders! Hope it doesn't take to long to get here!

Coach_Styles

I got my sparkling green Mugen yesterday in the mail. I was initially blown away by how gorgeous it looked and felt. The tama looks awesome and the paint is perfect. My only issue is the weight differential between the ken and tama. It feels way off to me and it has made several tricks extra difficult. Has anyone else noticed this? Maybe the fact that it is a bit larger than a normal kendama is throwing me off.

I think I built it up in my head way too much. I ended up feeling a bit disappointed by the end of the night. That being said, I can't wait to get home from work and jam on it again haha. It's still a Mugen, it's still a work of art, and it was definitely worth the money.

Thoughts?

The Void

If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Cliffdama

Hope i get mine tomorrow :). And maybe you need to get used to the size etc yes. :). But what ive heard / read is that they r pleyibg really nice. Hope that they where not all fanboys :p

Dimensions

Hi guys what countries are you from? I would like to have an idea of when mine will arrive?
Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

Cliffdama

Netherlands here. Mine arrived in amsterdam yesterday but are still at customs.. Most of the time it takes 24/48hours to get through so if i'm lucky the are in my hands tomorrrow!

Coach_Styles

I live in the United States in upstate New York. I got mine yesterday afternoon.

Quote from: The Void on 14 November, 2013, 16:20:52
Heavier ball of heavier ken?

It is very ball heavy. If I get my hands on a scale I will let you know the exact weights of both. I'm pretty disappointed at the moment but I am hoping it grows on me. I will definitely keep everyone posted.

The Void

Well, I'd say it's at least better that way round than the other. I find a heavy ball is nice for Birds, etc. Still, if it's too much heavier, then yes, that's not that great.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Coach_Styles

Quote from: Coach_Styles on 14 November, 2013, 15:14:33
I got my sparkling green Mugen yesterday in the mail. I was initially blown away by how gorgeous it looked and felt. The tama looks awesome and the paint is perfect. My only issue is the weight differential between the ken and tama. It feels way off to me and it has made several tricks extra difficult. Has anyone else noticed this? Maybe the fact that it is a bit larger than a normal kendama is throwing me off.

I think I built it up in my head way too much. I ended up feeling a bit disappointed by the end of the night. That being said, I can't wait to get home from work and jam on it again haha. It's still a Mugen, it's still a work of art, and it was definitely worth the money.

Thoughts?

I'd like to retract some of what I said. I'm not sure why my first impression was so rough and I feel like I should've never even posted this without properly testing.

After playing with it for a couple hours last night I realized the weight between the tama and ken really isn't that off. I'll be able to get the exact weight of both tonight and I will definitely post about it. I think the transition from a traditional kendama to the newer/larger Mugen did throw me off. I realized I went through a similar process when I first bought a sweets with the Aisuru finish. I thought the heavy tama was awful and it really threw me off at first. After a week, it became one of my favorite kendamas ever.

I'm definitely not disappointed in any way. I really can't wait to break it in even more over the weekend.

My only complaint is that I can't have a Sakura Pearl yet! hahaha. (Obviously kidding.) They just look SO gorgeous. I can't wait for their release!

isaacsdad

Got my sparkling green yesterday (U.S.). First reactions: it should be called sparkling black, not green. Under anything short of direct sunlight, the color is that dark. And unfortunately, it has been overcast since yesterday. My tama weighs 74.7 grams; ken 74.5 (2.63 ounces). The notorious plastic tip is softer than wood. It is designed to not damage the tama, and I believe that dents from this tip are shallower and not as noticeable as from a natural wood tip. But the tip is so soft that IT shows signs of wear from contact with the tama hole edge. The Mugen Musou does come with an extra tip, as well as an extra string. Two surprises: first, the paint on this tama is incredibly grippy. It's awesome. More grippy than the Ozora sticky white tama. But second, and not so good to me, is that launching a Jumping Stick is a little bit...sticky. That is, it takes greater care to flip the ken smoothly out of the hole. Maybe it's my lousy technique, but compared to an Ozora, TK-16, Sweets Homegrown and any number of other kendamas, the Mugen is not as "smooth" in this respect. I suspect it has something to do with the plastic tip. Otherwise, as far as build quality and finish, the Mugen (no surprise) is as refined as any kendama I've handled--two dozen brands and models and counting--and more refined than most.